I’ve had my print proof of Ashes Swept in hand for eleven days. It arrived while I was reading the e-book proof, and I’ve just finished reading it. This took a little longer than anticipated thanks to time limits, but while I was reading, something really interesting happened: I found a lot I wanted to change.
I really didn’t expect to be making edits at this late stage in the game, but I’m really proud of my book, so I want it to be as good as I can make it before I send it into the world. As a result, I will be launching the book sometime next month.
This small delay is equal parts frustrating, relieving, and exciting. It’s frustrating because I was really hoping for an August launch. It’s a relief because extra time on the clock means having plenty of time to make the necessary changes. It’s exciting because it gives me a little more time to plan the fun stuff leading up to the launch.
This whole process has been a bit of a learning curve, but that’s also exciting. Now I’ll have a better handle on things when it comes time to do this again for my next book. In the meantime, I’ll start the new round of edits tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll be ready to order my second proof by the end of the week, then I’ll be reading version two of both proofs over again. As long as I don’t find too many errors (which–dear god! Hopefully at this point I won’t!) launch week should begin sometime in the next two or three weeks.